Friday, July 16, 2010

Can't take the heat-get out of the kitchen!

Well I wish that I could! Yesterday was an all too familiar experience for me. I had started dinner and it was a crock-pot dinner and I set the temp and time. Well I had some food left over that didn't fit in the crock pot so I figured I would just put the rest in a pot on the stove and cook it along side with the crock-pot. Great idea right!? WRONG! Well this time it was wrong. I thought I was so smart because I thought to put the rest on the stove-except one small thing that slipped my mind. Let me just give you a heads up, the temp you set on the crock-pot is NOT the temp you set for the stove! Yea, so let me share with you what happened.




Like I said, I had the crock-pot going and put the left over food in a big pot on the stove. Waited for the stove to get hot, put the lid on, set the timer, and off I went to relax for a little bit. 3 of my kids were playing in the dining area and just as I smelled something, they said something like 'What's that smell?' Well I get up in a hurry and get to the kitchen as fast as I can! I get in there and it's little smoky but nothing huge and I can hear the food in the pot boiling! I get my pot holders and try to take it off the burner to see what kind of damage I had done. Well the pot stuck to the burner!!!!!! That has never happened to me before! Finally the burner just came off the stove (it's removable to begin with) and I put the pot in the sink. And it really does smell bad that I opened a door and told the kids to go out and play for a bit. Well there is so much smoke built up in the pot (had the lip on) that I cannot open the lid to see what the food looks like! So I figured that I would just leave it be and let it cool and try again later. So I am sitting down and it hits me like a brick wall. I feel so sick and so light-headed. I told the kids to come inside and go to my room and turn on the Disney Channel (I didn't want them around this smell) and I ask a friend to call my husband at work and tell him that I need him home now! (This is something I very rarely do) So he comes home and asks me what happened and if everyone is ok and I explain to him what happened and of course I start crying because after I realize what I did-I feel so stupid! He tells me that it's ok and explained that I should have just put the stove on low and let it slowly cook (duh, why didn't that cross my mind BEFORE this happened!?). I tell him that I am sorry but hey, at least it wasn't the whole dinner that I just screwed up! I had such a bad headache and felt light-headed off and on through out the day and my husband said it was probably because I inhaled too much smoke.



I have learned my lesson about that and hope that you all get a chuckle out of my cooking adventure! I would love to hear y'alls kitchen miss-haps!

No comments: